Thursday, July 27, 2006

M is for Mom , N is for Newborn, O is for Overwhelmed

Jeff and I have been trying to talk about budgets and figuring out how much we want to spend on all of the baby stuff. You can get a little crazy if you don't keep an eye on things. I think the baby business is designed that way. So as we determine what we need I don't even know what to put on the list. Things I know - crib, mattress, bedding, dresser/changer, rocking chair, diapers, clothes, pacifiers, bottles and stuff for breast feeding (I don't know exactly what that entails but I will have a whole class on that from the hospital.) That is it. What else does one need, I know a car seat and a stroller I assume, but when do you need a high chair? What other stuff do you need? What is a nice to have but not a must? I don't know enough other people who have had babies so I don't know how to even figure all of this stuff out. I searched for a newborn checklist on the Internet but all the lists I found are put out by stores. Again, they think I need way more things than I probably really do. Oh and by the way it says I need washcloths, how many six or sixty? I need a guide. Anyone know of a good book? See, you can see it happening right before your very eyes, I am getting the snowball effect. What started as a little snowball is turning in to an avalanche and then it all lands at the bottom of the hill with a loud kersplat and an OHMYGOSHWHATAMIDOING!!??!!??!!??

Okay deep breaths, deep calming pre-natal yoga breaths. I have a few books at home, maybe I will look in there? If all else fails I will watch the elimination episode of So You Think You Can Dance and bury my head in the reality TV sand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, first of all - don't buy everything - we will all want to give you things for your shower, Emmy's birth, her baptism, etc. So count on over-indulgent friends and cut your budget (and anxiety). I'm with your other friends, let me know when Jeff needs a breather and I'll go baby shopping.
You listed most of the key stuff, but really critical is a swing and/or bouncer. Continuous motion is a "baby thing", that's why you see so many moms who are always bouncing, even when they're not holding their baby.
Don't forget we're all here for you to lean on - and you're already in GOoD hands.

Anonymous said...

pea,
vanessa said:
A good website is Pregnancy.org. On the site they have a “Getting started” list: http://www.pregnancy.org/article.php?sid=1576
and she is emailing her "must have" list based on her reading and exploring this weekend. i'll be sure to share! deep breaths girl, you'll find your way!