Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Chester Cheetah

I actually brought the ultrasound pictures to work today. I felt a little cheesy because when I see them even I have a hard time making them out but the one of her sucking her thumb really is pretty cute. I never thought I would be the person who shares ultrasound pictures with the world but I guess you learn something new about yourself all of the time. I am a cheeseball!

Things seem to be going along pretty well except for I had a few sort of psychotic moments over the weekend. I think I just get overwhelmed with the whole crib/bedding/nursery stuff. I start seeing all of these choices and I can't decide what I like or what I should get. Should we get a $300 convertible crib or should we get the $180 regular crib? What about mattresses and bedding should it be pink or should it be more neutral? I realize that in the grand scheme of things this really isn't a big deal but when I am standing in Baby Depot and Jeff is telling me he doesn't like the one I have my heart set on I turn in to a crazy lady. I cry which makes Jeff feel bad and then I start to miss my mom. I don't know that one has anything to do with the other but I think if my mom were here she would have words of wisdom and she would LOVE to go to five baby stores with me just to look. (Jeff does not so much LOVE this and I don't think he even really likes it.) I am sure it will all work itself out and no one will tell me I picked the wrong dust ruffle or the wrong crib, I just want everything to be safe and nice for the baby.

I just had the weirdest experience. As I looked up from writing this I saw a dove outside my office window. I am convinced that doves are a symbol of my mom. When we were having the backyard redone with her inheritance money, every time I interviewed a contractor there was a dove that would sit on my window sill. On Friday when I got home from the ultrasound there were two doves in the driveway. Whenever I get particularly stressed or sad or scared I see a dove and it just lets me know I am cared for by my heavenly father even though my earthly mother is gone. It brings me some level of comfort. God is good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there to go to 5 baby stores with you! Being far away is no fun! Even worse is not having vacation days. You will figure this out. The best thing is to talk to other new moms -- consensus is a good thing! On the dove note, I too believe we get signs or moments of clarity or an unexpected hush to silence our fears and anxieties. I believe that everyone that has gone before us that we love are always here for us, cheering us along, gently nudging... She would be proud of you. I know she is tickled pink in heaven watching this chapter of your life unfold!

Anonymous said...

We'll have to schedule a marathon baby shopping day soon! I will gladly go to 5 different baby stores with you -- you can be indecisive at all and then we'll drive to 5 more stores! We need to take advantage of living near each other again. And your Mom is without a doubt watching over you right now....
Hi Britt! Alastair and I are still speaking! Had a fantastic time driving cross country - 3 National Parks in 3 days -- Alastair loved it!