Thursday, August 03, 2006

Me, Jeff and a Bar Code Scanner

I think this is the big weekend...Jeff and I are going to register. His family is going to throw us a shower in a couple of weeks, very spontaneous and fun of them, so we figured we ought to register for the occasion. The last time I registered I just ran around Linens and Things with a scanner gun going "Ooohhhh, I like that, click, and of course we need breakfast in bed trays, click." This time I have to register for actual things that I will need. I was talking to another friend of mine that is pregnant and she swears her registry has 30 teething rings and one bottle. Again, this is where all of my friends lists really will come in handy. I swear my friend Jeanette, or Nutty as we affectionately call her, has been a life saver. No wonder giving birth is like joining a sorority, you have to know way more than the secret handshake and password to get in. You have to know about Boppys and breast pumps and strollers and mittens. When Jeanette, who lives in California, first t old me she got mittens I was very confused as I was sure her baby's hands could not have been that cold in Cali in December. Then she told me they are so the baby doesn't scratch herself. Who knew?

I have finally started to have dreams about having a baby. Up until now I have had all sorts of weird dreams about everyone I have ever known. Seriously, every ex-boyfriend, high school acquaintance and second grade best friend have made appearances in my dreams in the last two months. Suddenly I have begun dreaming about having a baby. Of course they are terrible, anxiety filled dreams about leaving the child in the car and getting arrested, but at least they are about the baby. My friend who is a licensed therapist says that the good news is having a baby is real to me now, the bad news is I am living out all of my fears in my dreams. Let me tell you, it doesn't make for a good night's sleep.

No comments: