Monday, August 21, 2006

Who Buys a Ralph Lauren Onesie?

This weekend was our first shower with Jeff's family in Iowa. It is about four hours each way and we literally drove in on Saturday and drove home on Sunday. It was a short trip but it was a really nice trip. I got to spend some quality time with Elsiemae (Jeff's mom) and Shelly (Jeff's sister). We went to the SUPER TARGET, yes you read that right, a brand new Target that has everything from groceries to a Starbucks. I could have pitched a tent in the camping supplies aisle and never left the store ever again. The baby section is way better than our Target. I had serious Target envy by the time I left. We had a good time looking at baby stuff - we bought Emmy a little Iowa Hawkeyes sleeper so she can cheer for the Hawkeyes with daddy. We also talked a lot about having kids, I was in good company considering Elsie birthed 16 children and Shelly is on her third pregnancy in two years.

I was telling them I am expecting the first six months to be miserable and to feel as though I might not survive. If they are better than that I will be pleasantly surprised but at least this way I will sort of be as prepared as I can be for that no sleep, how does everyone else do this feeling. They said it was as bad as all of that but it gets better and the love and joy that you feel are also hard to predict and measure. That made me feel better.

Shelly brought me a huge Rubbermaid tub of baby clothes from Danika since she is having a boy this time around. We started looking through them and many of them are brand new. They either didn't fit Danika or they were the wrong season, like a 6-9 month fleece sleeper but Danika was 6-9 months in summer. I had to laugh, about half way through the tub was a little white onesie with a pink polo pony on it. I about died. Shelly is the last person you would expect to have something like that - she is the queen of dollar stretching and doesn't have a pretentious bone in her body. She laughed and said it must have been a gift. I just had to wonder who buys that? Apparently lots of people do because I bet Ralph Lauren wouldn't be making them if no one was buying them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No flying horses will be gifted to Emmy from me! There are so many other pink, flowered, polka dotted things out there that scream darling baby girl!

Anonymous said...

I am with Britt on that! Babies dont fit in them long enough. Super Targets are the best. Hey Erika, think the ovulation strips are working! Will let you know about the Preseed!