Thursday, January 06, 2011

Life's Instruction Manual

Ever since I can remember I have said that I wish life came with an instruction manual.  As my faith life increased I stopped saying that because people would say, "it does, it is called the Bible."  I would think that is great if you are a pastor but what about for regular old me.  Lately as I have been having quiet time and particularly as I have been reading this week I have realized it is for regular old me as well. 

Twice this week as I have read Mathew I have come across verses I am very familiar with but the preceding or following verse I was not familiar with and they were the instruction manual.  It was truly a Eureka moment for me.  On Monday I was looking at Mathew 6:34 (which was the verse I picked in eighth grade for my confirmation verse, yes folks I was a worrier even way back then.) It says, "Do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of it's own."  I know the verse by heart, great!  But verse 33 tells us exactly how to do that.  It says "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be provided for you.  You see God tells us not to worry, (great let's see how well that works.)  But then he tells us what to do instead.  This is awesome, I love being told what to do - sometimes.  : )

Then today I was struck by Mathew 17: 20-21.  You know, the old faith like a mustard seed verse.  "..For I assure you : If you have faith the size of a mustard seed you will tell this mountain "Move from here to there" and it will move, nothing will be impossible for you. " Now here is the kicker in verse 21.  "However this kind of faith does not come out except by prayer and fasting."  You see, here is the instruction on how to get that mountain-moving faith.  I love it! 

Now my prayer is that I hear the word, know the word, understand the word and DO the word.  Finally an instruction manual for the rest of us. 

No comments: