Thursday, August 07, 2008

God is good

He is good for a lot of reasons but today I am specifically talking about my new found food peace. I can't really explain it but I suddenly am just okay with whatever Emelia eats. When I look at most days I know she is doing well in most areas except vegetables. I sneak them in where I can and I am just not freaking out about the fact that she doesn't eat much dinner.

I have just been enlightened with perspective. She never ate much in the evening, even when she was a teeny nursing baby. She always woke up ravenous and still does. This week she has eaten three vegetables. We had sweet potato pancakes, cauliflower mashed potatoes and a teeny bit of spinach in our scrambled eggs. (There will be more in there next time.) I want her to enjoy food but not need it for comfort or reward so that is what I am focusing on. We will see how it goes. Check back in ten years and I will let you know how it turns out.

3 comments:

Holly said...

oh E I am so glad.
so so glad!
what a great perspective.

Michael C said...

I'm so glad that you were able to gain the perspective, and with it the peace of mind, that you did.

And seriously, you may need to email me your daily menu in advance. Everything you listed sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

Hi Erika! I just stumbled on your blog from Courtney's, and had to say hi. Also, I had to say something since I totally relate to your food/kid issue. Seriously, I made Sabrina sit at breakfast for 2 hours yesterday because she couldn't get down until she took her vitamin. I mean come on they are gummy bears! I've managed to let go of our food issues, but mostly because I found vitamins she would take. So, to have her up and decide she wasn't going to take it, well, it turned into a total battle of wills. Who does that child think she is dealing with? Strong-willed child, hah, try strong-willed mom.

Actually, I think it is really hard to let go of the food thing when your infant goes through a period of not gaining weigh properly. I mean all babies do is sleep and eat, right? The eating is supposed to be easy and the sleeping hard. When the eating goes south, so does what you think of yourself as a mom, and that is hard to let go of.