Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I lost it

I am sure I have written before about how crazy it makes me when Emelia won't eat. I have issues with my child and food. I have bad eating habits that I picked up early on and have struggled with being happy with my body for many years and I really don't want her to have that same issue. I read all this stuff about how her eating habits are formed by the time she is two and I get freaked out because all she ate today is cheerios and veggie puffs with a small side of yogurt and grapes. Lately she has had a real fondness for sugar and a real disdain for any sort of real food. Tonight she wouldn't eat the cheesy chicken and noodles I made her. What is not to like about that?

She wouldn't eat it and I tried to make her at least take a bite. She wouldn't. Jeff told me to let it go and I flipped out. I yelled at him, I cursed - in front of my child - and I stormed upstairs. I can't believe I am even writing this because I am so embarrassed. I think I do it for some form of self-inflicted punishment. I apologized to Jeff but of course he is not quick to thaw as I yelled at him. My child is sleeping and, God love her, she is quick to forgive and gave me a delicious goodnight hug and kiss.

Why does this particular issue make me so crazy? Why am I foisting my insecurities on to her? Will she be an obese kid at ten if she only eats cheerios today? I wish I knew the answers to all of these questions but more than anything I wish I could just let it go.

5 comments:

Michael C said...

It's a hard time. We spend so much time with our little ones (and sometimes just the little ones during the day - I stayed at home with our girls for the first year and remember what that was like) that it's easy to get our nerves frayed.

We all only want what is best for our children and so we tend to protect them or overly protect them because they are our lives, our flesh and our blood. I think it's only natural.

We were so protective of the twins that even at almost age 6, they are highly sensitive and can be very shy and almost fearful in new or different circumstances.

It's all one big learning curve. And for the record, those cheesy noodles sound delish!! ;-)

Thuy said...

I would like you to send me the cheesy noodles if Emelia is not going to eat them. :)

In all seriousness, E - I appreciate your honesty about losing it. The world needs more of that. (Not more people losing it necessarily, but more people who lose it and talk about it openly). We are all walking crazy people, and hopefully in sharing the trials and tribulations of daily living and the things that really get to us, we'll become a little less crazy. But I'm convinced the crazy will always be there. You're just normal, E! Isn't that reassuring? :)

britt said...

I'll never forget my former colleague and friend, Jon, telling me that his now 4 year-old was the kid built my graham crackers. It was their go to food, the easy snack and always available and Maddie inhaled them. By all accounts, she is a happy, healthy little girl with no food issues of note. So breathe, friend. Em, I'm guessing, is asserting some independence and being picky. I totally get where you are coming from on the food front... but don't over think it too much and just keep doing what you're doing. You're a great Mom trying to find her way... take lots of notes for me, okay?

xoxoxo

Michael C said...

BTW, I am posting my answers tonight for the topic suggestions you were kind enough to give me. Well, accept for Mr. S's stache. Some things are better left unsaid...
;-)

EMTWench said...

I'm not a parent and have no desire to be one; which probably makes me HUGELY unqualified to comment.

I can tell you this, though, to give comfort: I have yet to see a single mother or father avoid going through this! Every parent in the world attempts the impossible - making a small child eat anything!