Wednesday, August 12, 2009

spoke to soon

So I think I wrote about our"banner week" on Thursday night and then this is what happened on Friday...


I had a plan, as I usually do, so I felt good when I left the house. The idea was to go to the gym, pick the kids up from childcare, hit Walmart for groceries and end up at McDonalds for lunch in time to feed Samuel. I went to the gym, picked the kids up from childcare (so far so good) and the girls said Sam was just starting to get fussy. I decided I would let Emelia have a snack at the gym snack bar, feed Sam and then go to Walmart hoping maybe after he was fed (early) he would nap through grocery shopping. Emelia was finishing her orange and I was burping Sam when I hear a massive butt explosion from Sam. I look down to see a river of poop running down my shirt. He was covered in poop, I was covered in poop, soon the floor would be covered in poop if I did not grab a rag and mop up the poop. I went in to the locker room, and changed his diaper, shirt and pants (thank goodness I had an extra outfit for him.) I however did not have an extra outfit for me. I could have just gone home covered in poop but I would not have been able to fasten my seat belt without getting it covered in poop and I was determined to go to Walmart as planned. I bought a t-shirt at the gym. As I was at the front desk explaining the situation a lady who was also at the front desk starting yelling about how gross it was that I was covered in poop and how she HAD to leave because she has a low puke threshold. I began to cry. I mean really, do you think I enjoy being covered in poop? Do you think when I was fourteen I said man one day I hope my only goal is to go to Walmart without being covered in poop. The lady working the front desk explained to me that she did not have any kids and just didn't understand. I am not asking for empathy, I am just asking for a little compassion toward your fellow man. Do you not think that I am mortified to be covered in poop? I was by the way. It just all reached a breaking point and I got in the car and sobbed. Then I went to Walmart, got my groceries, came home and congratulated myself on following my plan.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Sometimes I don't understand how people can be so insensitive. Like you CHOSE to be covered in poop?? Gee, that sounds like a great idea--I'll go to the gym and have my son poop all over me. Seriously, if it bothered her that much she should have just left. And she probably shouldn't go out in public again if she has such a low "threshold" for things.

I think you did a great job sticking with your plan! And you were so resourceful--I don't think I would have thought to buy a shirt! LOL

britt said...

You crack me up! Good for you for following that plan!

If may make you feel better that though childless, I still clean up other people's poop too. And I didn't ask to do this as a grown up either. break in sewage pipe + tree roots = raw sewage in garage. After many phone calls to pro hazmat teams and no success, Andy and I swept, shoveled and hosed poop last night at our condo. Fun times!

MoonDog said...

awwwww. i would have cried too!!