Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Lesson Learned

I have learned a valuable lesson recently one I would like to write down because I will probably need to reflect on it often in the coming months. You see I am a fixer by nature. I like to help people, I like to solve problems and find solutions to dilemmas. You need a crib, I will scour Craigslist until I find one for you. You need some monetary help, here is what I have. You need someone to sign up to bring something to the bake sale/youth retreat/volunteer meeting/whatever sign me up for cookies or cake or whatever you need. That is just a part of how God made me. The thing is the reverse angle of that is very tricky for me. I have a tough time asking for help. This is a growing phenomenon for me because I don't think it was always this hard for me. It may have to do with my mom's death. I think before when I needed help my mom had some sort of spidey sense that tingled and she was always there before I ever even asked. The ironic part is I probably need more help at this point in my life than ever before and yet now I am the most reluctant to ask.

It all comes down to vanity/pride. You see on the outside I look like I have got life pretty much together. I am fairly organized, my house is usually pretty darn clean, I volunteer in several different ministries at church and overall I look pretty with it. The problem with asking for help is that in my little mind that is the equivalent of admitting I can't do everything and I don't have it all together. I can not dig up a garden when I am nine months pregnant or put together a compost bin that specifically says you need two adults to put this together. I probably should not be on a ladder trying to install a ceiling fan when my water could break at any minute. Yet, these are all things I have tried or contemplated doing in the last week. The real problem is this - by not asking my friends and family for help I am depriving someone of a chance to be Christ-like to me. I am depriving someone else of the chance to be the fixer which may be how God created them. There are various folks in my small group that posses the sort of handiness that I am currently in need of and yet I am reluctant to reach out. That is just plain silly and it is not what God has asked me to do in building a Christian community. So I am officially asking for help world. I need meals when this baby comes and someone to put a ceiling fan in Emelia's room. I need help digging up a garden - I will give you a summer's supply of free tomatoes in return for your help. For a little while I am going to need to be taken care of instead of taking care of everyone else. It literally pains me to say that, but I am learning a lesson.

2 comments:

Thuy said...

I'm really proud of you, E. I enjoyed reading this post (twice, actually).

I've been a beneficiary of your willingness to help others in times of need, and it's been awesome and humbling. I'm so glad God has wired you and Jeff as He has. Receiving from others has shown me, time and time again, that if we don't ask - or at the least, admit that life sucks when things aren't going so well - we don't give others an opportunity to be the Christian community that the Bible talks about. This community bit really works beautifully. - In the last three months, we have received a check in the mail for $1000 from a friend; an offer to take 2 plane tickets and disappear somewhere because of friends' accumulated travel points on their credit card; offers from friends and family to purchase a birthday/baby shower/graduation gift for someone else, but on our behalf; and a wonderful care package full of ConAgra food and a totally awesome Target sweater that I can't wait to wear again :).

When I think about the ways that God has shown up in the community we know as our friends, I am brought to tears, I am totally humbled, and I am in awe that God could love me so much through these amazing people. I wish I had this perspective with me all the time so that I'm always confident of His provision.

You asked for help, which was hard for you to do, but you did it. You gave someone else a chance to be what you and Jeff have been to Ry and me, over and over again. We love you both!

Courtney said...

I wish that we were there to help you guys! (not that I'd be a ton of help with 4 kids, but whatever...it's the thought that counts, right?)

I hope you have some good help come through in the next few days before and after that little one gets here! :)