Sunday, January 28, 2007

Britney Spears Deserves a Break


No, not from the "no panty wearin-hangin with Paris-clubbin till all hours, while my child is at home issues of late, but from the "you are a bad mom because you tripped while holding your kid" issues. Here is why I can commiserate with Britney...

So last week I took the baby to Jeff's office because his boss was in town from California. When I got to his office building I changed her diaper in the public restroom in the lobby so I had her out of her car seat and then I put her back in the car seat to take her upstairs. We showed her off, everyone loved her and away I went. I was on my way to see my friend Korri who lives about 20 minutes from downtown. About five minutes after I started driving Emmy started to scream. I mean just wail at the top of her lungs. That is so not like her. The hardest she ever cries is in her car seat so I just thought this was a particularly unappealing car ride for her. I got to my friend's house and my nerves were a bit fragile from a 20 minute car ride with a screaming baby. I went to get her car seat out and she was all slumped over in the seat. I realized I had forgotten to restrap her in to the car seat before I left downtown. I was horrified. I got to Korri's front door and cried because I could have killed my child. I was so upset with myself. There is just so much to think about every time you go anywhere and the one step I missed was strapping her in. God was watching out for us - as there was a cop riding along side me the whole way to Korri's and I kept thinking man I wish that cop would get off so I can speed up, my child is screaming and all I want to do is get to where I am going. YIKES!

So after I got over feeling like the world's worst mom Korri convinced me that Emmy was fine and that it was a valuable lesson learned. Emmy rewarded me with a nice cuddle as if to say it's okay mom, just don't do it again.

I'm telling you, this mom thing is harder than it looks.

2 comments:

Missy said...

awwww. that breaks my heart! don't be so hard on yourself mom!

and by the way, that little froggie position could use one of those bathtowels with the froggie heads on it. so cute i could just eat her up!

CAGdad said...

I agree with Missy...don't be so hard on yourself. Next time something seems awry, u can always pull over into a parking area, assuming it's safe to do so, & check things out. But, I'm sure that my highly intelligent daughter has already thought of that.