Monday, January 25, 2010

Reprioritizing

This weekend Jeff went to a men's retreat at church. He came home with some interesting thoughts.

He decided it was time to fix our marriage - now. Our marriage is not broken but it is neglected. We both know it and we openly talk about it but we both just sort of feel like we can recommitt to each other when Sam is a little older and not so demanding. The problem with that reasoning, as Jeff says, is who or what will we be when Sam is less demanding. You can only walk in opposite directions for so long before you are to far away from each other to get back.

It is sort of like a car, you have to do routine maintenance so the engine doesn't fall apart. We had a great conversation yesterday when he returned. It was such a relief.

It is sort of like the elephant in the room that no one talks about. I love my husband and I know that he loves me but lately we have not been taking time for each other. We have not been considerate of one another and we have not been focused on one another. We have been really just getting by.

I am thrilled to reclaim my marriage because the most important thing I can do for my children is love and honor their father.

1 comment:

Thuy said...

Thanks for this post, E. It is strange. I was going to write something similar on my blog.

I give thanks to God for giving me real friends with real problems who really talk about them. We can only walk around claiming to be "not broken, just neglected" for so long, right?

I'm proud of you both, and I'm so glad you had that talk.

Hugs,

Thuy