Thursday, November 20, 2008

New Woman

I feel like a new woman this week. I am finally over the morning sickness, I think and I have some energy which is so exciting.

Okay let me back up and fill in the last three weeks' details.

Colorado was great. It was nice to see family and I felt a particular increase in my bond with Nancy - my step mom. Emelia really took to her because she was the only one who really let Emelia come to her. News flash, little kids do not like to have people force a relationship. It is tough because I really want her to just run up and hug everyone but she doesn't and I know that is a good thing but people have expectations so it is a little nerve wracking for us parents. It really is a tricky situation. Emelia was great in the car but tested her boundaries a few times while we were there. There was a lot going on, six adults surrounding her at all times plus trips to the zoo and the rock garden etc. I tried to give her a little leeway but I also was not about to let her freak out because she wasn't getting her way which she did a couple of times. All in all I needed a vacation from my vacation. : )

I came back and spent most of last week preparing to talk at our women's retreat for church. The theme was Walking by Faith - different shoes for different seasons. I was one of six speakers speaking about trying times in our lives that God pulled us through. For me that was the year that my mom died. Her death was terrible, the grief was overwhelming but I basically buried all of that under work, alcohol and shopping, with a dose of overeating thrown in for good measure. By the grace of God my loving husband stuck by me but finally on new year's eve of 2005 I just told God I couldn't take it any more and he took it for me. So anyway, I was nervous about speaking and really just wanted my story to help someone else in some way and wanted it to glorify God. The speech went well, the retreat was awesome and man was I exhausted. I spent most of Sunday and Monday trying to catch up on sleep and get some energy. I decided since I was feeling so much better I would try to take my regular prenatal vitamin since I have been taking a regular multi with a folic acid supplement. Bad idea, man was I sick. On Monday I spent all day throwing up and feeling miserable. Tuesday was much better and Wednesday was better still.

So that brings us to today when I can report that I think I have begun to nest. Yes I vacuumed out the light fixtures and dusted the fireplace after cleaning out the toy box and organizing the closets. Most women don't start to nest until the third trimester but I think my natural anal tendencies combined with the extra hormones get me going a little early : ) Okay, gotta go, I am off to clean the refrigerator coils!

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Can you come clean my refrigerator coils too? Please?? You might even find some magnetic letters for your trouble (we're missing "i"). LOL

Thuy said...

Yea for having more energy, Erika!!! And I was missing your blog! Glad you're back. :)

I wish I could have heard you speak at the women's retreat; I know you touched a lot of people. So glad it went well!

Michael C said...

Welcome back! I'm glad you had such a good trip and are feeling more like Erika! You'll have to share with me how the speaking went. I think it is so great you are doing that and the speaking idea is brilliant!!

Nancy Ryan-Klinger said...

Thank you for the compliment. I tried to do just as you said, stand back and wait....and it was well worth the wait!
It was a terrific few days; far too short but a truly blessed time. we can hardly wait until July.
I think Mel and i would be best buddies if we lived closer. We really have a lot in common including being soriority sisters. cool!
It is auch an amazing experience to be a member of this terrific family.
much Love, Nancy